Friday, March 27, 2009

Trackwork part 1

Whilst rummaging around in some boxes from our aborted house move from last year I happened upon a pair of C&L Finescale point kits in EM from a long aborted Holyhead Breakwater project. So I figured what better way to re-introduce myself to finescale 4mm than to have a go and build one. That way I would see if have the ability to put together finescale trackwork. I used to solder up EM gauge points quite easily. I have never glued up a C&L point before. If I can make one with no real problems in EM then I'll have a bash in P4.
This kit is sold as a "turnout in a bag" with everything you need to make a point, and I do mean everything (except glue) track gauges are even included, to enable you to make an EM gauge turnout. So on the way home from work I stopped in at my local hardware store who just happened to have some Methyl Ethyl Ketone, the solvent/glue needed to stick the components together, on the shelf. Though the one quart tin they sold me is probably a lifetimes supply. I'm looking forward to having a go. I'll report back, though before I start I need to go down to the health club and do a half hour hill workout on the "dreadmill" as part of my marathon training.

No comments:

Post a Comment