Sunday, March 29, 2009

The Grand Design

The Grand design indeed. That is what my East Lincolnshire Light railway is. It is a fictional project I have had spinning around in my head for a long, long time. It concerns a railway that left the Louth, Mablethorpe line at Saltfleetby and meandered through the coastal villages of North east Lincolnshire terminating at North Coates close to the RAF base there. In the past I've written out a fictitious history of the line. Planned out many of the stations and even "modelled" one of them. When "Belchford Road" was operated as a one man layout. Off came the Belchford station nameboards and in their place appeared some that said Covenham. One of the vilages I decided would be served by the E.L.Lt. Rly. The one area that I have looked into modelling the most is Saltfleet Haven, an early trackplan sketch is shown below.In my version of the Haven, trains arrived from Saltfleetby and were reversed here before heading up to North Coates. The Haven also had a small fishing fleet that would be the source of some freight traffic on the line. It's a great idea that I have and I really should do something about it. Perhaps now is the time?

2 comments:

  1. This looks very do able in 10" 6" x 16". I do like the whole concept of your East Lincolnshire Light Railway.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the plan very much. I tried to do something quite similar in a modern image setting- but I never thought about the quayside possibilities. An old boat like a Clyde Puffer tied up would be scrummy. Hope you have been able to do something with the plan.

    ReplyDelete