Monday, January 25, 2010

Green Paint!

I never thought that I would be happy to see a bottle of green acrylic paint. But there you go strange things happen in the model railway world.
Why was I so happy to see such an insignificant thing?
Well, over the past couple of weeks I've been doing a bit here, a bit there on the Wills tin chapel kit. Steady progress in small increments barely worth reporting until the kit was finished. It is such a simple kit. "I'll have it finished in no time."
Or so I thought. I reckoned without the purchase of some green acrylic paint to do the outside of the structure.
It seems that there are still hobby shops that persist in the misguided ideal that enamel paints are the only sort of paints. They've never heard of acrylics. Even in shops that do stock acrylics, the water based paint is outnumbered 3:1 by the oil based stuff.
Acrylics are so easy to work with. Barely ever needing thinning in my experience, a bit of water does the job. They brush on so easily (spraying is a topic for another day) . Enamels you always have to thin, If you don't it's like painting with treacle.
Don't get me started on clean up. Water people! That's all you need...
So all in all it took about 3 weeks to find a colour of paint that I thought would be suitable. I hope to gosh it is suitable because the lighting in the paint aisle was so poor it was difficult to tell. Even looking in the daylight was risky as it was a very overcast , grey day. I'd paint the structure tonight except the "new" series of Top Gear starts on BBCAmerica.
So there you go "4mm scale agonies" come in all forms

p.s. The episode of Top Gear concerned the race between Tornado, a Jag and the Vincent motor cycle

No comments:

Post a Comment